Ross Abbey, locally known as Ross Errilly Friary, is the best preserved Franciscan friary in Ireland.
The history of Ross Errilly is closely linked
to Ireland’s history as a nation- a history of centuries of oppression of
the Catholic faith and of Irish people secretly practising their religion and
secretly supporting religious communities.
Ross Errilly is a 15th century Franciscan Friary near Headford in County Galway. In our opinion, it is one of the top tourist attractions in the area.
It has left a superb ruin with many interesting features, well worth an afternoon's excursion from Galway City.
Ross Errilly is considered the best preserved ruin of a friary in Ireland.
Click here for visitor information on the site which includes our review and special tips.
The friary never had an abbot, yet it is
called ‘abbey’ by the locals who have a long history of supporting the friars
who were resident here. Its real name is Ross Errilly Friary, home to
Franciscan friars from at least the 15th century until long after
the dissolution of the monasteries under Henry VIII- well into the 18th
The friaries main sponsors and supporters
were the Norman De Burgho family, one of the 'Galway Tribes' who later anglicised their name as ‘Burke’.
The first documentary evidence of the
monastery dates from around 1469 when a local man made it a benefactor in his
will. There are claims dating its foundation to the mid 14th
century, but if there was any previous building on the site it was either erased
or incorporated into the present building in a 15th century style.
From the onset of the reformation on the
monastery underwent a turbulent existence. The friars would have lived under
constant threat of eviction or persecution.
At one point, in 1538, many monks were
killed while 200 were imprisoned by the English authorities. After each act of
eviction at the hand of the authorities, the monks were eventually able to move
back into the building under the support of the DeBurgo’s.
In 1612 again there was an order right from
the top, from the Lord Deputy of Ireland Lord Chichester, to evict the monks
and to demolish the building. The monks were warned and managed to save themselves
and the most precious items.
In 1656 Ross Abbey was destroyed,
defiled and looted by Cromwellian soldiers. Thankfully the 140 or so monks had
been warned and were able to flee.
Find visitor information here on Ross Errilly including our opinion and tips.
Find out about Clonmacnoise, the Rock of Cashel and Boyle Abbey, also early Christian sites.
After that Ross Abbey was occupied on and
off until around 1753 when it finally had to be abandoned. Practicing the Catholic faith was illegal
under the penal laws, and the penalties were severe. It came to the stage where
local support for the monks while they were living in the building was no
longer viable. The monks then built huts on a small river island nearby.
After being abandoned, the building was still
used as a cemetery for a handful of families. You can find a good few memorial
plaques in the walls with the families’ crests, see the one higher up on this page.
Hi there, hope you enjoyed this article on the medieval Ross Errilly Friary in County Galway, Ireland.
If you like what we do on Enjoy Irish Culture, please support us in growing our readership. Feel free to use any of the social features we provide, such as at the top left and at the very bottom of the page. Thanks a million!
Regards, Susanna and Colm
Return to the top of this page
Return to Irish Heritage Sites'.
Like and follow us!
Our Facebook Page Our G+ Page Our Pinterest Our Twitter